Sooty mold is a type of plant mold that results in an unsightly black discoloration on trees. Without proper control, it can make the host plant turn entirely black.
This tree mold grows on the honeydew residue left by sucking insects, such as aphids and soft scales, that infest the plant. These pests can cause the host plant to lose its ability to absorb enough sunlight. Consequently, the affected plant risks not producing the nutrients it needs to survive.
With that said, can you guess what the real cause of concern is when it comes to sooty mold? That’s right – it isn’t the mold itself, but rather its indication that pests are infesting your landscape. If left untreated, these sap sucking insects will leave a detrimental aftermath on your plants.
When Paul was 15 years old he got a job working on the golf course after school and on weekends. Now he is a Certified Arborist with emphasis on tree and plant health.